Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Searchin'

Search engines are amazing! My question was: What is the average price of a home in the Austin Area?

Well, I simply typed "average price of home in Austin, Texas into google and the first website that popped up was Cost of Living - The Greater Austin. In the article it said: Compared to other major business centers, Austin is well known for offering affordable living. The National Association of Realtors reports that the median home price in Austin was $187,400 in 2009 while the national median was $173,200.

Then I decided to look on yahoo, and the same article appeared first after the sponsored links, which made me think it was a credible article. I continued searching to try to find a more recent article to show more current prices. Next, I typed +2011 and found a more recent study. This is what I found:

Real Estate Market Report January 2011
Average Price
$252,510 average price of homes.
3.51% decrease over last year.
First decrease in 7 months—
since the end of the tax credit.
Median Price
$195,000 median price of homes.

In the video about the history of the internet, I learned a few interesting things. I had never heard of hot potato routing before, about getting information through even with a broken spot in the maze through the network. Also, I didn't realize that in 1969 was in information became more immediate on computers. They referred to it as time sharing when you could ask a question and "immediately" get an answer!

No comments: