Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The History of the Internet and Web

By: Courtney Morris

Watching the video over the history of the internet and web, I was fascinated at many of the facts that I was completely oblivious to. Although I use the internet multiple times daily, I had no idea about its history and origin. I was completely shocked to find out that in the beginning, major companies, such as AT&T, not only didn't back the idea but was convinced that it would never work. After creating the first Interface Message Processor, BBM, headed by Frank Hart was the only one to believe and support and IMP. Over the next few years, the concept of email was created and in 1972 there was fewer then 25 web sites and there were 19 different things to do on the web. Again, AT&T was asked to come and view the computer and its functions but as some of the head executives watched, the system failed for the first time in years. As the computer sat there frozen, the men of AT&T laughed with reassurance that the idea for a web connected network was not only a joke, but impossible. I would love to ask each of those men present that day how they feel about the web and internet now.
I have always been taught that the best things in life come unexpected, and the web and internet it concrete proof of that!

No comments: