Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Bing-diggity!



Today in class we discussed Microsoft's new search engine bing.com so I decided to use it during this exercise to see what it was all about.

At the beginning of the assignment I went to bing.com. At first, I decided to type in the actual question I was assigned, "What is the average price of a home in the Austin area?" but ended up with a lot of useless websites and reviews on houses rather than the actual average price. So I decided to shorten up the words and typed in "average price of a house in Austin area." That did the trick! The first 6 websites that were brought up were exactly linked to average housing prices in Austin. The first website was the most up-to-date and easiest to navigate; the next 5 websites were from various years of 1992-2003 and I didn't find them as useful due to the economic crisis that our country has been undergoing recently. The first website is what I decided was best to answer this question. The average price of a home in the Austin area is from $269K-$329K. The website also provides other ranges of house pricing and lets you see what areas of Austin have the specific prices you're looking for. The funny thing is that the map is provided by Google.

Soooooo - I looked up the same question in Google and the website that was first on bing.com was not even on the first PAGE using Google. Instead various websites such as austinrealestateguy.com and escapesomewhere.com came up. They were much more difficult to navigate through and find what I was looking for.

I suppose I will be trying out this bing.com afterall.

PS - When using Bing if you put your cursor to the right of whatever website you see a preview of the information on the website.



No comments: