Sunday, March 6, 2011

Credibility: ESPN

I love sports. I'm a huge football fan. I also like basketball, baseball, soccer and I'm trying to get into hockey. We'll see how that works out. If I ever miss a game or I just want to find a player's stats I just go to www.espn.com. ESPN is my go-to site when I want to read up on my favorite team or player, a particular sport or when I want to join in on a forum.

Content: The ESPN page is complete, but always updated throughout the day. The title of the homepage is ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports. The site is updated daily with new information and was last modified Sunday, March 6, 2011. The site is available in English and in Spanish. The target audience for ESPN is people of all ages, races, genders, etcetera. Although some articles are opinion based there is not obvious bias or slant to the information on ESPN. At the top left corner of the page, viewers are able to switch from the USA edition to the Deportes edition as well as four others in a rollover. Based on the season, information will vary. C
urrently basketball season is in session so most of the articles or videos on the front page pay particular attention to that. Sometimes news articles or videos pertaining to off-season sports will be posted on the front page. Internal and external links work properly. Internal links open within the same tab while external links open in a new tab. The outside links do not support information from the site because they are advertisements.

Authority: ESPN was created by ESPN Internet Ventures, dba Starwave Partners. ESPN Internet Ventures operates as a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company and can be contacted through the website on the Contact Page or via mail.
Starwave Partners
9 East 34th Street
New York, NY 10016
Located at the bottom of every page is a Supplier Information link that takes you to the Walt Disney Company Supplier Information page. I also spoke with a customer service agent by the name of Kristi, who was able to verify this information. The domain name is a .com, which could possibly mean the information is inaccurate or skewed. Disney is the only sponsor according to the site. ESPN's non-Web mediums include ESPN Radio and ESPN The Magazine.


Presentation: The ESPN website is very professional looking. I did not a spot GSP errors and the writing style is appropriate for the various topics. The format of the site is meaningful and easy to use with appropriate headings available. Navigation would be more useful if links would open in separate tabs rather than the same one. Images, videos and sound work well on the site. They support particular content, not all and from what I can tell they are not edited to misconstrue information wrongly. I found the site by typing sports in the Google search engine which returned ESPN at the top. I know the site from TV and from the radio. Some videos, images, or sound clips are accompanied with related articles or links and vice versa. Their source code has some things that I have no seen yet, but overall it is easy to understand and I still feel the same about the ESPN site.

After finding the answers to what i was looking for, I still stand by ESPN being a credible source. I intend to continue using the site for any of my sports related questions and I will definitely recommend it to anyone who asks. Because I follow particular teams from different sports, I would follow-up by reviewing the team's personal site, blog, or social media tool for confirmation or more updated information.

ESPN Twitter
ESPN Facebook

No comments: