Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What Learned in class this semester: Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

When I look back on the semester in my multimedia journalism class I realize there is a whole world of possibilities for a career in this field. Also I think about all of the new things I learned about the interactive media world, like how to make a podcast, post videos to youtube and blogging. I knew before I took this class what each of these things were, I just didn’t know exactly how they were made and published.

I feel that this semester in Cindy’s class really cemented a good foundation of knowledge of web design, video and audio editing, and the future of things to come in online journalism. Before this class I had always assumed the only world for a print journalism major was reporting for a newspaper, but I now know there is so much more I could do for a publication than just write stories. I still need to do some independent learning and further study the things I’ve learned in order to say that I’ve mastered them, but Cindy did a great job getting us to where we are comfortable and confident in our skills.

Another aspect of the class that I was not expecting was to learn so much about how social networking plays such a big part in shaping the Internet of the future. Learning about applications such as second life and discussing the implications of sites like facebook and myspace was not only enjoyable but also informative (considering I already use both of them).

All in all I will hopefully go down a path that not only allows me to write for a great paper, but also maybe help out with web design, flash animations and infographics, blogs and anything else I can.

Anyone reading this who might be considering taking one of Cindy’s classes in the future I strongly suggest that you do, just don’t click the mouse while she is talking.

5 comments:

Katrina - a.k.a. Bryce's mom said...

The mouse clicking and the key pressing ring out to Cindy like a gong in a library - I too caution against this behavior.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh my god Tod I just realized that this is your blog and not Drew's. I don't know how I got them confused. I am an idiot. I'm so sorry and please disregard all the mean things I said! Now off to write something nasty on the correct blog...

anna said...

"I hear clicking!"

heehee. Just teasing, Cindy. :)

Colm said...

I agree with you, Mr. Schaaf. We both took the two courses offered and I think I can safely say I feel the same way as you. More learning (on my end) is needed to "master" the skills Cindy has introduced.