Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Multimedia Crammed into 16 weeks

Now that this course is ending, I can say that I have learned new skills, but I don't think I have learned enough. I feel like I'm more familar with terms, and I understand how things work. I just wish I had more than one opportunity with each skill. I think that we are all storytellers, but I would have liked to experiment with the camera and voice recorders a little more. With each assignment, I learned my mistakes, but I'm still confused at what separates the amateur from the multimedia professional at this stage in the game.
Careerwise, I feel like I'm only at the beginning. The scary part is that if I want to further my skills in multimedia, I will have to do it on the job. The first part is convincing someone to give me a job, and the second part is accepting that I'm going to learn by trial and error while working on real stories.
I think the blogging would have been more beneficial by having everyone run their blog as if it was on their own site. By doing this, we would be more compelled to read each others posts on a regular basis. I usually would only read a couple, because reading a dozen posts on the same topic can get dull.
For the slideshow, I would have like to go over some photography basics, and for the podcast, I would have liked to discuss what the sound of the podcast could soundlike before we started on the project.
I do appreciate the amount of information that I had access to, but I wish it didn't feel like I just crammed for my the future job hunt. In the future, hopefully a variety of multiamedia skills will be available throughout the mass comm courses.

3 comments:

Colm said...

Charlotte, I completely agree this course and others like it should be more prevalent in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. It is almost a disservice to only have a few courses focusing on multimedia journalism, as it is obviously the way the mass communication industry is going.

andrew mcneill said...

Charlotte, I know excatly what you mean when you feel like you don't think you've learned enough. The part that is even scarier is that this stuff changes everyday. Things in this field change faster than they do in print, radio, or TV. But that's half the fun, we don't know where we're going to be five years from now.

Sarah Garcia said...

I also wish I would have been aware of and taken more classes in multimedia journalism. Just now as a senior am I finding this is something that really interest me, and I feel rushed to learn these new skills with just a semester left.