Tuesday, November 13, 2007

After watching the Google documentary, I'm less trusting of the company. Some of the employees interview really didn't have good answers to privacy concerns, at times offering little more than "I just don't see it that way," or something of that nature. I shared a lot of the same concerns that Ian Brown did from the Open Rights Group.

I think Google is invaluable to how the world operates today; it's the only search engine I use on a consistent basis, and being able to log in once to use several applications (such as this one, iGoogle and Gmail) is convenient. But it is good to ask if this one company should really be spearheading so much of the information collection in the future. It is, after all, a company, not a philanthropic group or something similar. I agree that it is ignorant of us to trust a company and hand over the reigns to this new way of making classic books available. I know Google has a good track record with free services, but some non-profit or government organization should still be tasked simultaneously with archiving books. A lot of business in media today deals with exclusive information/content, and it would be a problem if a company tried to do that with books throughout history.

A lot of what they have already done is useful, whether its Google Maps, docs, and from what I've read people are welcoming the introduction of Open Social, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not it actually is of great importance. I know social networking is a growing part of today's business and intellect, but not everyone out there is using this aspect of the Internet for any real uses of importance. Updating a Top Eight isn't part of that movement.

That being said, I wouldn't mind working for Google. From the documentary the employees seem like good-natured, forward-thinking people. I just was a bit unimpressed by the lack of concern shown with some of the questions raised against their company.

No comments: