Monday, November 12, 2007

Onward Internet

The new application of Google’s Open Social provides a common set of social application codes across multiple Web sites. There will be a standard and developers will be able to create easy access to a social network's friends as well as update feeds. The Google code has already been joined by: Orkut, LinkedIn, Hi5, Friendster, Salesforce, Oracle, iLike, Flixster, RockYou, Slide and now just recently MySpace and Six Apart.
Now that Google has incorporated yet another application to make it the ruler of the Internet, I can’t help but feel sorry for the little companies that got lost along the way. I remember when the Internet first started to accelerate into the days of out lives, and all I can ever remember is Google. There was never really any other talk in my household; or if there was, it was just bashing.
I like Google because it provides all the information I could possibly ever need as well as stuff I absolutely do not need. As a company I think it is probably one of the smartest of our time. Any company that’s created itself in such a short amount of time earns a page in our history books and deserves to be recognized as being superior to any other Internet site.
As far as the applications they have created, I’m not quite sure exactly how I feel about them. I just recently discovered IGoogle, and I think it’s really cool, BUT I think that they are grouping everything too much. I read somewhere that one of the up and coming applications to be added is having your bank included. Google is notorious for having back doors and safety issues, if my bank is enclosed in this tangle of applications, I’m afraid of fraud.
As far as the future of Google, it’s inevitable that they will be around. Who really knows how far they will progress up the Internet ladder web. I think in order for it to truly be the Internet goddess, they are going to have to work out any type of foreseeable security issue before they can rule the web.
Since “most” social networking sites (ehmehm not Facebook) have already migrated to the flame of Google, it already is a success. Although Facebook is slowly but surely rising to the social networking status of superior, MySpace for now seems to be holding the reins when it comes to the number of people involved. However, with that being said, I think that the social networking craze will see a decline in the near future. Already, the frantic need to get one has died down and most people are so bored with it that they are deleting their account and/or not checking it anymore.
Without Google, most students and most professionals I think would be quite lost when researching. It is such a mainstay and helpful resource for everyone that without it how would we obtain all the information that we gain now?
I think the Internet is cool and all, but I absolutely would not ever want to work for the company. I do think their stock will rise, so I’m seriously looking into that, but the Internet is such a boring set of numbers and codes that I feel my life would stray so far into the boring routine that I’d end up hating my life and the Internet along with it.

No comments: