Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tech geek visions fulfilled

Just when I thought I knew what I was doing, I realized I knew nothing at all.

Multimedia Journalism has helped me learn new tips and tricks for creating online content, which I know will be invaluable as I enter the job market in the future. Prior to this course, I had some skills in video editing and very, very basic web design knowledge. As the semester progressed, I started remembering more and learning new things about the technology.

Perhaps what I didn't realize I would learn in this course is news and information about technology, which I would dabble in on occassion, but now I find myself reading more about Google's takeover of the world and closely following the every move of Apple. This class was the first to emphasize multimedia and techonology news, particularly from publications such as Wired, which I had never read before prior to this semester.

I have always considered myself a wannabe technology geek. Now I have extra motivation to learn more about multimedia because I find it not only fascinating personally, but I am seriously considering it as the route I would like to take as a journalist. I love writing and reporting, but I'm always proud of myself when I can take that a little further and create something visual for as story as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maira,
I too wish I were a techie, but alas I am not. (I'm surprised I even figured out how to turn on my computer to leave this comment, seriously.) Although I am pretty much technology retarded I also have a greater respect for the technology world after having taken this class.

anna said...

"Just when I thought I knew what I was doing, I realized I knew nothing at all."

I hear you on that one! We've all been plugging along, almost oblivious to the fact that our field is changing dramatically. Thank goodness some of us have taken off the blindfold.

andrew mcneill said...

I had a similar experience when I took Cindy's web design class last spring. I had done some of this stuff back in middle school and high school, but I got out of it after that. When I got into Cindy's class, everything started to come back together and I got back into it.