Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I ? Google

My opinion of Google? How would I live without it? What did we did before it?

Sure there are other search engines out there, Ask, Yahoo! and so forth and so on, but you don't Yahoo! something do you? No, Google isn't just a search engine, it's a verb and a necessary tool in my everyday life.

For a tech company that started out wanting to be just a search engine, not even a company, Google's done pretty well for themselves, pretty quickly. Founded in 1999 with a measly $100k they swiftly became the fastest growing internet company with 6,700 employees, according to the Google documentary.

Would I like to be one of them? Sure, where else could you work in what they attribute to a university lifestyle within the company, where the company motto is, "Don't be evil."

So, but what about their record of your searches, of your life, privacy concerns? Is there anyway to avoid this in today's day and tech age? Personally, I don't think there is and too much focus is on Google, while our government is readily doing the same thing.

We are, in fact, living in a, "sort of scary, Orwellian world." It may not be 1984, but it's also not just Google contributing to this. Facebook, MySpace, the US government, advertising agencies, GPS systems, cell phone companies, and the list goes on and on - they're all contributing to this new way of life. It just so happens it scares the $**! out of everyone who ever read the book.

1 comment:

MairaLG said...

We're totally a stalker society now and I think I finally realized that. It scares me. Why the hell do people need to know what I'm doing, where I am, what I'm buying and so forth? I think if we aren't careful in guarding our information, it could backfire.