Monday, September 3, 2007

What I think of the Internet & Web

After watching the video played in class last week I realized that I didn’t know all the intricacies of the Internet as I had thought. I use the computer every day, in fact if I don’t I feel as if I’ve missed something, sad but at the same time very normal. It’s not just the Internet that perplexes me; it’s the entire system of computers. There's a time line on a page I found that dates each year the steps in creating the internet. When I sit down to think about the knowledge the creators have to make such an intricate platform I am “mind-bottled” and lost. Up until just 10 years ago who would have thought to cross wires to make communication possible or to make a book that we could write on without actually writing. I guess I never really thought about all of the people who took the time, or made the time, to want to make something like that. I found a site that tells the main creators of the internet, it was a bit interesting. I don’t see how it could just arise in their brains or plans for the day that they wanted to create such an elaborate system. When I wake up in the morning my plans for the day consist of getting to where I need to be on time and eating, besides that I go through the day just to get through it. This probably will change once I get finished with my BA but for now all I see is the end of the day. I cannot imagine waking up one day wanting to change the face of our world by creating an interconnected web of communication. Leaving class last Wednesday really opened my eyes to our societies need to be connected at all times and really got me interested in what our life would be like if we didn’t have all of our nifty gadgets. I bet you all reading this cannot even fathom, unless you are old and remember the times when phones were strictly in the house. I looked up randomly the “internet for dummies” and was shot back in 32 seconds 2,790,000 different pages that alluded to my search. I didn’t go through them all, I didn’t want to and who would? Personally I feel that the Internet is an awesome resource but because we do have so much information (either fictional or not) I think it might be harmful to gaining information that one might really need. It’s strange that even as I type ‘internet’ in this blog it alerts me that I have used it wrong yet now it is so common the way I am using it I know I am the one who is correct, at least I hope. I found this site that takes you through all the ins and outs of the Internet and actually tests your knowledge of what you just learned. Now, I’ve not taken the test nor plan to but I think it interesting that they would even have a site like that anymore; it’s just “mind-bottling”.

No comments: