Monday, September 24, 2007

Without Me, It'd Just Be Aweso

And without Austinist, I wouldn't know what the heck was going on around my town. Well, I may have some general idea, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool and trendy as what I find on there.

Austinist is a website where its audience is purely Austinites or people who want to BE Austinites. They have news, community events, music, theatre, movies, fashion, gossip, photos of graffiti and reviews of Craigslist's famous Missed Connections.

However, I'll ignore all the fun references and just focus on their news coverage. Instead of shoveling stories from news sources onto their page, Austinist provides a list of links to the news stories with a brief headline. Considering that the site seems to cater to the 21-35 crowd, I know they'll pick stories that I'd be interested in reading. For example, when the story on the Taco Bell Python broke, it was a link that took you to the story on the Austin American-Statesman's website. I regularly check statesman.com, but that story must have slipped by me. Austinist found it, I read it, I laughed heartily. I would have missed that completely had it not been for Austinist's little spiders.

As laid back and liberal as Austinist can come off sometimes, the site is completely credible to me. There are links on the side to all of the staff members' bios, email addresses, AIM ids, flickr accounts, etc... If you had a question or problem, you could contact the author or editor immediately.

Austinist seems to be fueled by the ads on the site, which I must admit, don't detract from the content. I took the liberty of circling some ads for your viewing pleasure:




Overall, Austinist is a credible, if laid-back, website. They source everything. You can contact anyone. No smoke and mirrors here.

No comments: