Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Power to the People: An Informative Documentary

   
     Because of the Power to the People portion of the larger documentary, Download: The True Story of the Internet, I now have a better understanding of how popular social networking tools such as Napster, Youtube, and Facebook, came to be. I enjoyed how the video opened with John Heilemann speaking about how "The deepest human impulse, the most profound desire and need, is communication."
     I certainly agree. As humans, we are social creatures and therefore we want to communicate with each other. The interviews with social technology innovators such as Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, Chad Hurley, responsible for YouTube, and Shawn Fanning, creator of Napster, and Jay Adelson , CEO of Digg. Until I viewed this video, I had never heard of the news site called Digg.
    
     Now, I am encouraged to check this site out because the news posted has been discovered by fellow internet users like me. It amazed me to learn that one of the most helpful and controversial companies, Napster, was started by an 18-year-old. I always thought that Sean Fanning was much older. This instance proves that young people can make a difference if they combine their creativity with hard work
Personally, I wish that music could be free. But after hearing that the movie business, music business, and book business would go out of business if free sharing continued, I fully understood why companies must charge for music and other products.
     Essentially, this portion of the documentary aided me in my further appreciation for modern social technology.




No comments: