Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Download: The True Story of the Internet




The single most important part of the video for me was the development of Mosaic and the Web. Jim Clark and the Illinois students had no idea of the power they were constructing. They were not looking for profit at the beginning and I believe this is what made a difference. I don't think they would have been as creative had they searched for ways to get rich first. Until Jim Clark showed up, profit did not cross their minds. They were just working hard at something they were passionate about.

The dealings of Microsoft and Bill Gates didn't surprise me. Microsoft proved they used to/are very good at distorting the truth, buying companies out and lying. I must admit that I can see the resemblance between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and how they looked for perfection and did not accept anything less. Nevertheless, the ruthless approach in managing their companies have proved them right.

I can clearly imagine them sitting around the pizza parlor and I almost wish I was there myself. I agree with Jacqueline though, do I have to go to an Ivy League school to come up with a revolutionary idea? The start of Mosaic reminded me of The Social Network.

No comments: