Thursday, August 2, 2012

Living in a Foreign Country

Travelling abroad sounds like fun to most of us. However, once you end up in a foreign country for good, it may be the end of fun and a beginning of a slow and somtimes painful process of adjusting and assimilating into a different culture at the often expense of sacrificing your own.
I am planning on interviewing some people from Central Europe (first generation), who permanently live in Austin. I will focus on people from small countries, like Czechs and Slovaks, who do not have big communities around Austin, but culturally are an important part of Texas history.
I may be able to interview someone from the second generation, but I am not sure yet if they will be willing to participate. I would like to focus on topics like:
  •  keeping up with their own culture
  • living with a foreign accents
  • maintainig the knowledge of their mother tongue

No comments: