Monday, September 5, 2011

The Internet Video: Taking the Internet for Granted












Like many others in our class the technological lingo in the video confused me. What caught my attention was when the video addressed the old version of the Internet and how it functioned. It made me think about how I used to use the Internet in middle school. I forgot how slow the Internet used to be until I watched the video. I remember having to use dial-up connection and waiting forever for it to finally connect to the Internet. I visited AOL right away and mostly used the Internet for chatting on AIM. When I wanted to go to other sites it would take much longer to access the webpage than it would today. The video said that in 1992 only 50 webpages existed on the Internet. Today I visit many of the billions of webpages offered that didn't exist in 1992 or even nine years ago.


I feel like I take the Internet for granted sometimes because I don't really stop to think about how advanced the Internet has become. I no longer have to stare at the computer screen for 20 minutes, waiting on the page to load or have my mom yell at me to for blocking the phone line while using the Internet. Now I can simply click Internet Explorer, visit any site I want, have unlimited access to information and talk on the house phone all at the same time (if I still actually had a house phone). For the most part I quickly find all the answers to my questions and when I don't I get really frustrated. Now after thinking about it, I appreciate the modern Internet much more and next time I think about throwing my laptop across the room, I will stop and tell myself, "Anything is better than dial up."


Click the follwing links to help you remember dial up connection:


http://www.edmundyeo.com/2011/05/remember-dial-up-internet.html

http://www.tech-faq.com/dial-up-connection.html

No comments: