Friday, September 2, 2011

The Beginning of the Internet

After watching both parts of the film on how the inter webs came to be, I realized that we really take for granted the easy access of various communication mediums we have. I'm not going to lie, the first half of the video was a little hard to follow, but the process was still pretty interesting. I guess I never really stopped to realize how much trial and error had to go into the whole process. I was a little surprised that the people running the communications companies at the time weren't more supportive of the idea that the universities had come up with, but I'm sure they were simply afraid of change within their world of existing telecommunications.

The second half of the video was all stuff that I was pretty familiar with such as the commercialization, e-mail, etc. I wonder how many of the early pioneers actually still profit off of their contributions to the world wide web.

Mainly, I am just thankful that it is becoming more readily available to use and hope that I can keep up with its constant evolution.

Hope you all have a great labor day weekend, but in the meantime here are some interesting facts about the internet.

No comments: