Thursday, October 11, 2007

You can kill an ant, but not the whole colony...

Yea, even as I write this blog I am on the edge of my seat. I don’t want anyone reading this and coming after me, but if it’s all for the story I will persist.

When we talked about Jammie Thomas’ case this past Tuesday I was shocked, to say the least. I personally believe it ridiculous to have anyone pay that ludicrous amount of money just for making something available to someone else. Can’t it be said that anytime we give a gift or share something with others we are basically committing a felony because we are going against some copyright? It’s definitely a tricky topic.

As I read through the most recent updates about this case, one of the jurors was quoted in an AP article saying that there were some members on the jury who wanted the $222,000 to be higher; not only that, but in that same article it said that most of the jurors had admitted to downloading some program or byte at some point or other. How superficial and hypocritical can these ‘citizens’ get? They seem like those people who take any tiny amount of power and blow it up as big as possible, I’d like to see how they felt about this type of situation if the tables were turned and they were the one having to cough up the elephant-wad of cash.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to give bias-free a positive view towards the penalty they gave Thomas; there’s just no way, especially since it was for a total of 24 songs up for debate. I download songs galore and I do do it illegally…I’ll admit it, but at the same time, who doesn’t? If access is available and it is so easy to find, how can anyone possibly say it’s unjustly for that one?

I think of it like this: if I walked through a valley that was filled with freshly bloomed daisies and was told to pick only one and would have to pay for it, I honestly would walk away, find my own flowers or skim from the sides. It’s not worth it when I can just go and get what I want elsewhere.

For those of you who want to fight the system with me and who want to enjoy what you want when you want, I’m going to give you one of the best presents you could ask for: for movies go to ovguide.com, for music download limewire and for free music whenever go to mp3shits.com.

Companies can sue to their pockets are empty, but they are NEVER going to stop everyone from doing it. Killing one ant has never killed the colony…unless it’s the queen, but that doesn’t count.

No comments: