Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bobby Bones...or whatever his name is.

I know, I know, most DJs have a made-up name, but for some reason I truly believed that Bobby Bones’ was real! Alliteration is fun, especially if it is your name, but I was disappointed.

So, earlier today I attended Mass Communication Week’s Bones presentation that opened with Chelsea, a Texas State student and intern on the show, to a crowd with about 175 people. He was dressed very college-y, his hair was manicured quite nicely and many people had the opportunity to put a face to the voice. I thought he was cute. At some point he said that he knew he wasn’t a ‘pretty’ guy, but I would have to disagree. I do not think he photos well, but many people don’t. Yea, yea, I guess I’m crushin.’ His discussion was good, which was to be expected since he is known for his personality.

I had mixed feelings going into the presentations because the day before I was listening to the show and he started talking about coming to Texas State and the article from the school’s newspaper (which I wrote and was published on Thursday) I’m not positively sure that he was unhappy or happy with the article. I guess he didn’t like a quote that one of his interns gave me about him or the way I worded it, but I quoted her like I was supposed to and there was no rewording. He made it sound like I didn’t know what I was doing, or so I thought. Long story short, I really like listening to his talk show and hearing his jokes so I pushed my hurt/embarrassed feelings aside and I ended up really enjoying myself.
To begin the discussion, Bones started off talking about how much money he makes; I was turned off, but it ended up being a good introduction because it did grab the attention of the crowd. He said he makes over a quarter of a million dollars a year!

"Who cares how much money I make, I just want to look cool,” he said. “If you love it, it’s the best job in the world.”

Every so often, between laughs, giggles and pauses, Bones would scratch his chin. I guess everyone has there own ticks and this was especially visual when he began discussing a couple of his most embarrassing/memorable moments working as a DJ.

As talked about certain aspects of his life, a couple of things he mentioned were said to be hush hush…like the name thing, but given that he embarrassed me (without ever saying my name/gender) I figured it as payback.

He talked about starting out in radio and TV, his education and his future goal, which is to become a late, night comedy host, where he can build up equity and one day be a “monster market.” He discussed his co-workers and the difficulties that can arise from working so close, the future of the show and the pain of getting up so freakin early in the morning.

“I wake up a 3:30 a.m. and it sucks. I hate it. It’s the worst part of my job.”

He allotted time for the crowd to ask questions and ultimately did a really good job of interacting and being relatable, funny and informative.

One of the more interesting things discussed during the hour long presentation was the shows pressure to be Web site blessed. He said that it helped that he was so young and already technologically advanced since that is what society is wanting.

At the end of the presentation about 25 people lined up to meet the morning man, me being one of them. I wanted to be the bigger woman and I introduced myself and told him thank you for letting me interview him (we had done it online). He said I did a good job (which I was skeptical of) and I told him he had done a good job.

To wrap up this word party, I felt that Bones did a good job of engaging the audience and it was a pleasure that Texas State was able to get him to come and speak. He had good insight and good info to give.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article Cheryl. As a current TxState student, and fan of his show, I wish I could've been there to see it, but alas I couldn't get away from my career that day. I had heard that part of his discussion actually included dissuading students from doing a Radio/TV/film degree, or some kind of related degree since he said it never really helps the students. Yikes, I wonder how quiet it must've gotten there when he said that. And yes you are correct, quoting money around is pretty unnecessary and rude, but I can kind of see why he did it so that the students there can have a future reference to go by. Still it's good to read all that interesting stuff about Bobby, and I commend him for talking to the time out to talk to the students. Great article again Cheryl. - Fernando DeAlba