Thursday, October 25, 2007

A last note

Mass Comm Week flew by. I regret not being able to attend more sessions, but it's that time of year when it seems like everything is due for class.

I had a chance to participate on a panel during Mass Comm week on the Doctors Without Borders refugee camp I saw earlier this month (and blogged about). It helped me realize how much I love being a journalist, learning about new issues and informing others about them. Sue Weill asked me an interesting question: Did going to this exhibit make you want to do international coverage?

Without skipping a beat, I said yes. It would be my dream to provide others with information on what's happening across the world. The awful situations found in refugee camps make you realize how lucky we are to live in the U.S. and have things we take for granted such as clean water, food and access to basic medical care. It isn't my job to tell people how to think or what they should do to change the world, but to illustrate to them what a situation is like truthfully. The power of words is strong.

That would be my contribution to the world. Information.

1 comment:

anna said...

Beautifully said, Maira.