Saturday, October 6, 2007

SACA Event-KT Tatara

So…the school held a SACA event Thursday night that featured a comedian by the name of KT Tatara. I know I know I didn’t know who that was either. In fact, the pictures that were on the posters hanging everywhere made him look like a very confused female. I told my sister, whom I dragged along with me, that it was a girl that I thought might be gay simply because of the way ‘she’ dressed. Luckily for me, I researched “him” before I went and my error was corrected as well as my embarrassment. So, this guy is actually a lot more famous than I thought, just not in my mind. He has been featured on Comedy Central and been a guest star on a couple of television series.

Last time I went to a comedy event by SACA it featured Last Comic Standing’s Josh Blue so 30 minutes before the show there was a line out the door and when the doors opened I was hard pressed to find a seat.

So, expecting the same thing, I arrived 30 minutes before only to find absolutely no one. I thought it might be cancelled and even made my way to another building where I thought it might have been moved. I was wrong. I waited around a little longer and at exactly the time it was supposed to start a group of people came up to where it was supposed to be.
I asked the girl in charge what was going on and she said that it was still happening it was just running a little late. I commented on the lack of audience and she said it would still be held.

The comedian arrived I’m guessing on time because he sat in the back looking as if he was about to cry. My sister and I joked that he might go kill himself due to the lack of audience and I told her that for the first time in my life I knew what it felt like to truly feel sorry for another person. Forty-five minutes after it was supposed to start he came out on stage with an audience of approximately 40 in a theatre that sits at least 300.

For the most part I feel that people missed out, he had some really good material. He was, however, really dirty and at parts embarrassing. He did keep commenting on the lack of audience so I personally believe that he was hurt, but I don’t know that that’s a fact.

During the personal showing, I attempted to take a picture for this particular project (see right). I held up the camera, that I thought I had turned the flash off of, only to have it lighten the stage. To my embarrassment, he told me in the middle of his skit “no pictures.” He was serious too. So, long story short I got one. Not too happy with it, but it’s one nonetheless.

So for those interested in watching or attending a showing by KT Tatara, be aware of the crude sexual slangs and jokes, but also be ready for a couple of giggles, just don’t expect him to attend Texas State again.

No comments: